The Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) Staff Research Associate will contribute, as part of the DMPK Team, in screening chemical compounds in diverse chemical libraries to identify “hits” leading to the discovery and development of treatments and cures for a number of neurodegenerative diseases.
The SRA will contribute towards the drug discovery team by performing bioanalysis on plasma and tissue samples from pharmacokinetics studies and executing in vitro assays to understand ADME (absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion) properties of small molecules. The successful candidate will join a DMPK team, which is part of an overall multidisciplinary Drug Discovery research effort whose research interests span many fields of scientific research, and report to the Team Leader. The goal of the team is to identify effective therapeutics against neurodegenerative diseases, including prion diseases like CJD, AD, FTD, PD, and other neurodegenerative diseases.
Note: A physical/health screening is required for this position.
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1999, the IND is committed to creating therapeutics that will halt diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and dementia resulting from traumatic brain injuries. The IND is poised to make serious contributions to this struggle at the frontier of neuroscience and medicine. The mission of the Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases is to discover causes and develop cures for these illnesses with an innovative program of basic research and clinical medicine.
- BA/BS in a related science and one or more years of recent, directly related work experience, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; and/or equivalent experience/training
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard related scientific procedures in running assays, and mass spectrometry as may have gained/learned in school or similar training
- Experience performing bioanalysis on complex samples, such as plasma or tissues from pharmacokinetics studies, as may have been gained in school or similar training
- Proficiency in Outlook and all MS suite software
- Familiarity with electronic lab notebook software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability to work as an effective and efficient team member, and to participate in team meetings and planning
- Enthusiasm, positive outlook, collegiality and scientific curiosity
- Experience with Phoenix WinNonlin or other pharmacokinetics modeling
- Experience preparing drug formulations
- Sciex LC-MS experience as obtained in school or work experience
- HPLC experience as obtained/learned in school or work experience
- Experience with liquid handler equipment such as Tecan
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
009617 SRA 2 NEX
Research and Scientific
University Professional Technical Employees – Research Support Professionals Unit (UPTE-RX)
Mission Bay (SF)
Additional Shift Details
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm