This position is critical for the proper operation of Hunter’s Point Animal Facility. The purpose of this position is to provide technical support in regard to animal care and breeding for small animal models used to study neurodegenerative diseases. The person in this position will have a critical role ensuring that animals are appropriately bred to meet the experimental needs of the investigators in the Prusiner Lab, as well as the animal care and husbandry (i.e. animal health and welfare checks, cage changing, and other husbandry related procedures). Proper training in animal handling and biosafety will be provided. Some holidays and weekends required. The person in this position will have an important role in ensuring that daily animal health and husbandry procedures are performed.
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1999, the IND is committed to creating therapeutics that will halt diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and dementia resulting from traumatic brain injuries. The IND is poised to make serious contributions to this struggle at the frontier of neuroscience and medicine. The mission of the Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases is to discover causes and develop cures for these illnesses with an innovative program of basic research and clinical medicine. The IND is directed by Nobel Laureate Stanley B. Prusiner, MD.
• Graduation from high school, completion of training equivalent to the Asst Laboratory Animal Technician certificate of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS); and one year of animal care experience; or high school graduation and two years of animal care experience in the care of animal species appropriate to the particular job; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
• Ability to effectively and efficiently work well with other team-members in a high-throughput, dynamic, and physically-demanding environment
• Ability to effectively follow Standard Operating Procedures as it relates to Environmental Health and Safety procedures (i.e. proper use of Personal Protective Equipment)
• Familiarity with biomedical research and animal models of disease
• Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification
• California Driving License
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
009525 ANML TCHN
Research and Scientific
University Professional Technical Employees - Technical Unit (UPTE-TX)
Hunters Point (SF)
Additional Shift Details
Typically, Monday through Friday 7am-3:30pm, Weekends and holidays depending on operational needs