IND Molecular/Cell Biologist/Adjunct Professor Series*
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is seeking a molecular/cell biologist to design, develop and validate novel tools for the study of neurodegenerative diseases. The director of the IND is Nobel Laureate Dr. Stanley Prusiner.
The successful candidate will have a strong track record in neuroscience research and/or neuropharmacology and will join a multi-disciplinary team of scientists dedicated to finding a treatment for neurodegenerative diseases by discovering small molecule drugs that prevent the propagation and spread of misfolded proteins in cells, animal models, and eventually, human patients. The team is engaged in fundamental research to understand the process of protein misfolding as well as translational research to apply this knowledge toward drug discovery assays. The candidate should have strong practical experience in protein expression and/or cell culture. He or she should have excellent management and communication skills and work well in a team environment.
- Ph.D. with emphasis in neuroscience or neuropharmacology and a minimum of 3 + years of industry and/or academic experience.
- Experience in both molecular and cell biology, including:
- DNA cloning and the construction of expression vectors
- Transfection and viral infection
- Western blotting, immunoprecipitation, and protein purification
- Cell line differentiation
- Stable transfection and cloning
- Candidates with experience in neuronal cell biology, neurodegeneration biology, and/or drug development are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants should possess excellent managerial, leadership, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, as well as exhibit evidence of imagination in problem solving.
- Applicants should have a record of high-level publications focused on neurodegeneration, cell-biology, and/or translational research.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are preferred
- Candidates must meet the required qualifications by the time of appointment.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary is dependent upon experience.
Interested applicants must submit curriculum vitae with a list of publications, in the cover letter- a brief statement of research accomplishments and interests, a statement of contributions to diversity, and contact information for three professional references.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03235.
*Rank will be commensurate with background, experience, and work history.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.